Pages

Tuesday, February 22

Victory day...

Today was an incredibly humid day even though it wasn’t too hot (thank you God). Yes, it was my holiday and I had to suffer stuffy air all day long.
And all due to the fact that today’s the Victory day (9th of May) – the day when former USSR won World War II.
You may wonder what this has to do with humidity… well, the reason is, it’s been raining for few days here and it was going to rain today too. Of course, officials never risk getting plans for the celebration altered by such a trivial thing as weather. Therefore they used ‘weather guns’ to scatter clouds all over our city (the capital, huh) and prevent rain.
As a result it never actually rained, only random drops fell to the ground, but you could cut air with knife since all that unused water was trapped above the city.
It actually was less stuffy inside than outside, so my plans for a long walk around the city were done for, I just took a walk to the Kiev Pechersk Lavra and back (took me two hours or so).
By the way here’s the photo of Kiev Pechersk Lavra (orthodox church complex):

If you walk past Lavra you’ll enter National museum of History of World War II complex, an interesting place to walk once in a while (if you don’t live close enough of course ^^).
A thing you’ll surely find interesting there is Kiev’s biggest (and I mean it – the biggest) monument and popular attraction – a monument of Motherland.
Here’s the picture:

The monument is big (102m high, seems like it’s even higher than 93m-high Statue of Liberty in US) and immensely heavy. As it is situated at the hill, it can be seen from many places in the city.
Here’s how it looks like in general:

When my foreign relatives come to visit Ukraine I usually take them to see World War II history museum. It has good view over river Dniepr, war scenery and ‘lesser’ monuments. I must confess it’s a popular tourist spot, but since I grew up nearby it’s an ordinary thing for me.

Good thing is the celebration is finally over, fireworks display started at 22.00 as it does every year and has ended by now. I hope they will leave weather alone now and we’ll have a nice healthy summer rain.
Did I tell you that I love summer rains? No? Well yeah, I do.
Anyhow, that’s how my holiday went.
Somehow I felt like sharing this with all who’s interested ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment