Pages

Tuesday, February 22

Ukraine\Kiev - Obolon' district (my personal opinion)

Step by step Kiev is becoming a city of contrasts (hehe, that’s a pun I love from the old USSR movies… “Стамбул – город контрастов” ^^ ).
Last week I went to another part of the city on business and couldn’t stop myself from taking few photos.
Obolon’ district is newly promoted “vip-district” with its “fine buildings”, “improved infrastructure” and “picturesque harbor”. If you look at one side of the street you’ll see modern-looking residential area.
[Like this]:

Well yeah, if you look at buildings solely it may seem nice. But I don’t find harbor too picturesque and infrastructure too improved. It’s the same dirty (because … there’s a lot of dirt ALWAYS) old post-USSR Kiev, but in new clothes.
You look at another side of the street and you see the same old view of gray and sullen panel buildings accompanied by usual dirt and tired faces.
[Like this]:

To the left so-called ‘Europe’ and to the right ‘Ukraine’.
Personally I don’t like how businessmen try to make Obolon’ look like a vip district (prices for apartments are very high there). And I can’t say I like that part of the city.
If I had to chose between left bank’s Poznyaki district or right bank’s Obolon’ district to live in, my choice would be Poznyaki (where apartments are even cheaper ^^). Even though now I reside at the right bank of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment