Pages

Tuesday, February 22

Games, parental advisory and future

y previous post about games put me onto interesting trail of thought…
About games…
I feel that current marketing and ‘parental advisory’ strategies of publishers are deteriorating game industry in general. Take Fallout series for example… Fallout 1 and 2 were megabombs, even if they featured some violence, blood, drugs, s.e.x. and alcohol references… Fallout 3 with strong parental advisory isn’t Fallout at all. Cyber punk without violence, blood, etc. isn’t cyber punk. ^^
There’re more examples with the same outcome…
Btw, what do publishers want to achieve ‘shielding children’ from violence etc. in games? They just cut game audience in two or three. And anyhow children do make contact with violence and blood (etc.) in everyday life, there’s no way to avoid it. Parents that comfort themselves with illusions that their child ‘is protected’ from negative influence of ‘outside’ world are only fooling themselves and making things worse.
Children that were in close contact with animals during their early childhood aren’t likely to develop animal fur allergy… Then why do we have to prevent our children from contact with factors they will surely contact in their future life?
Isn’t it better to teach your child how to deal with a problem than avoid it?
I remember how my parents taught me how to deal with alcohol, drugs and s.e.x. … it wasn’t a path of denial or over-protection. And I turned out quite fine, I don’t smoke, don’t drink excessively (I can drink a bottle of beer with friends or drink some wine), don’t abuse drugs, and I’m OK in the area of intimate relationships. ^^
And no one made me ‘avoid’ games and movies with violence, alcohol reference, etc. I was my own adviser.
So… I think this ‘parental advisory’ thing is over-protecting and absurd. No telling how I pity teens whose parents take it too seriously.
… also we must remember that the stronger we deny the right to try to our children, the more they want to try…

No comments:

Post a Comment