Pages

Sunday, September 4

Nationality talk

Had a mood to run doing bosses with random parties in Allods online. Met few people from various corners of Europe.
As usually my cleric was a hit of the day or savior of the party. . . Funny how you get into a raid (5+ character party) with three other priests and only you can heal. Others are dd conversions. . .
But nevermind. What I wanted to say is this old talk in a new old manner.
We were doing bosses as I said (Ugluk, Kosmach, whatever) and I met a person from Sweden with whom we formed a party for an hour or so. Later on some English person joined into the talk and started bugging us with who are you questions. The dialogue was typical, but I will write it down here.
Englishman: Where are you from people?
Swedish man: I am Swedish
E: And you?
Me: I am Ukrainian.
E: :O
S: it's a nationality man
E: ? ? ?
Me: it's a country near Russia
E: oh, how come you speak English? They don't speak English in Russia
me: now I start to get offended
S: people learn languages

That was pretty much it but it's very typical. People think that this country is barbaric (which it is to some extent ) and all who dwell in it are considered stupid barbarians. Even though I'm ukrainian I don't like being considered that. And yes I sometimes have to tell people that bears do not roam our main streets and we don't live in taiga. . .
Russia and Ukraine are so deeply entwined in minds of some people that it's almost impossible to separate those two images.

No comments:

Post a Comment