Pages

Saturday, March 15

something about food... and fish

Today on the spur of the moment I decided to buy some fresh fish. 
This fact isn't worthy to be celebrated in written form by itself, I know...
it's just that while I was removing scales, I thought about peculiarities of our current time. 

I've used fish fillet for frying; tails and heads transformed into fish stew. 

Wait, what, I didn't throw out fish heads? ... Yeah.

Most people nowadays think that only 'good' parts of something are made for eating. 'Good' meaning things like fish fillet, fish steaks. Fish heads, throw them away or feed them to your dog. I actually had several (young) women telling me 'why are you eating creepy things like this?'. Sorry, people had been using fish heads, tails, bones, flippers, chicken hearts, liver and stomachs as foods for hundreds of years. People in poor countries eat even 'more gross' food items. Yet I know people who could retch if you showed them raw chicken heart or would tell you that 'sausage is for those who can't afford real meat'. . 

When did people become this picky? Reports indicate developed countries are wasting tons of food each year, food that's not considered 'creepy'. [not that I think chicken stomachs are creepy... ofc I would probably hesitate if you asked me to eat a fried spider, I confess]

I guess it all comes down to personal experience and 'cultural beliefs'. When people were always fed fish fillet and 'best' parts of everything, you're not gonna convince them to try something 'low class'. Ewww, take this away from me, right? 
Those who experienced shortage of food and were very happy to be able to eat 'low class' food aren't that picky, generally. 
In most cases when I find out my acquaintance is a 'picky' eater, most often it's because they had never worried about getting food on their plate and always 'had a choice' of meals. The question is, are parents doing the right thing when they're making sure their child has nothing to worry about whatsoever?..




No comments:

Post a Comment