Pages

Wednesday, February 5

Sochi 2014

on the other hand, 
I've been laughing hard today, reading reports from Sochi Olympics. 
Oh wait, the games haven't even started, but the fun is here. 

When I say 'fun', I mean the incompetence surrounding the whole affair. 
Twitter, for example, is buzzing with tweets from journalists arriving for the games. Their story are horrid - and believable. Believable for someone who knows firsthand how things work in countries like the one in question. 
I encourage you to read some coverages about misfortunes of journalists in Sochi. Broadens your perspective. This article is only a tiny bit of information floating around: http://t.co/Cs0ZiQPxON 

Yes, I laughed. 
But it's not a laughable matter when a huge, enormous country is sinking in corruption and incompetence. Open manholes on sidewalks isn't a laughable matter. Capitalism at its best. What has it to do with capitalism, you may ask. Nothing and everything. 

And yet another thought - why don't they build ONE Olympic park and host games there. Ok, maybe 4-5 locations around the world. Why this charade every 4 years? Who's benefiting from it, besides those who get 'returns' and are able to buy nth sports car?

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the new age I guess.
    I can't say if my tears came from laughter or desperation. :|

    Aren't we all like the bee in that honey box? :]

    ReplyDelete