Pages

Monday, September 7

мои последние посты на smart.fm...

Для человека, который постоянно теряет ссылки...

What I hate about heroes


Tuesday at 2:26pm

Since it’s time for a small vacation of mine, I allowed myself to play videogames a little.
Actually, I haven’t played them at all for about two months. Almost forgot how it’s done xD.
I had a big choice of games to play (the ones that I didn’t have time to finish before) that included Mirror’s Edge (I regret buying it – a waste of money, didn’t like it at all), Drakensang (a good old-fashioned RPG, but with a bit slow story), The Lost Crown (stylized horror-quest) and The Last Remnant (J-RPG I played for an hour or so before I put it aside).
I felt an urge for some action, so I started The Last Remnant. I’m used to think that J-RPG is a balanced choice between action and RPG.
Urghhh… I couldn’t stand the behaviour of the main hero (Rush) of The Last Remnant. Someone told me that he’s ‘all that’s good in J-RPG characters’. Well, if you picture idiocy as ‘good’...
For me there’s nothing more irritating than ‘all good and fluffy’ character, and there’s nothing worse than ‘oh this world can’t be as bad as you say it is’ or ‘oh how I wish I could make a change… and I will!’ attitude. Also I think the image of ‘raised in just and pure climate’ hero which happens to contact ‘impure and unjust world’ has outlived itself, at least in a setting where he seems to never learn… Rush is behaving like a 10-years old child being 16 (OK, J-RPG usually features teens, let it be)...
Children must grow up someday, don’t you think? And grow up faster when they are forced to…
Anyhow, I couldn’t stand it, couldn’t hear ‘oh Irina!’ anymore, couldn’t watch cutscenes where a child is Rushing around making a mess ^^ ...
Did I become too old or something?
To conclude an experiment, I found my Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (someone mentioned it here not so long ago) and started it via pcsx2… Even with emulator’s lags it was like a balm for my nerves. A hero with some common sense! Hurray! xD

-----------------------

Games, parental advisory and future

Wednesday at 7:48pm

My previous post about games put me onto interesting trail of thought…

About games…
I feel that current marketing and ‘parental advisory’ strategies of publishers are deteriorating game industry in general. Take Fallout series for example… Fallout 1 and 2 were megabombs, even if they featured some violence, blood, drugs, s.e.x. and alcohol references… Fallout 3 with strong parental advisory isn’t Fallout at all. Cyber punk without violence, blood, etc. isn’t cyber punk. ^^
There’re more examples with the same outcome…

Btw, what do publishers want to achieve ‘shielding children’ from violence etc. in games? They just cut game audience in two or three. And anyhow children do make contact with violence and blood (etc.) in everyday life, there’s no way to avoid it. Parents that comfort themselves with illusions that their child ‘is protected’ from negative influence of ‘outside’ world are only fooling themselves and making things worse.

Children that were in close contact with animals during their early childhood aren’t likely to develop animal fur allergy… Then why do we have to prevent our children from contact with factors they will surely contact in their future life?
Isn’t it better to teach your child how to deal with a problem than avoid it?
I remember how my parents taught me how to deal with alcohol, drugs and s.e.x. … it wasn’t a path of denial or over-protection. And I turned out quite fine, I don’t smoke, don’t drink excessively (I can drink a bottle of beer with friends or drink some wine), don’t abuse drugs, and I’m OK in the area of intimate relationships. ^^
And no one made me ‘avoid’ games and movies with violence, alcohol reference, etc. I was my own adviser.
So… I think this ‘parental advisory’ thing is over-protecting and absurd. No telling how I pity teens whose parents take it too seriously.

… also we must remember that the stronger we deny the right to try to our children, the more they want to try…


No comments:

Post a Comment