Pages

Tuesday, July 19

on html and css

Sometimes when I read something like this:

.arrow-left {
width: 0;
height: 0;
border-top: 10px solid transparent;
border-bottom: 10px solid transparent;

border-right:10px solid blue;
}

I think that some people got nothing better to do.
Ok, this example is primitive, but I saw a demo of multicolor icons done via css 3 transformations and pseudo elements.
The question is... what for? To show off? We came to era of advanced graphics just to get back to drawing in primitive shapes?

Ofc I understand that they implemented all those transformation possibilities not just for people who dislike pictures in their designs, but also to make some tasks simpler, but ... BUT.
I prefer to take it as in: 'if they don't show off the features nobody would use them and they would occasionally die'.

Ofc html 5 and css 3 were implemented for people to use them. But I hate to think how long it would take at least countries like USA to switch to full support of them. By that time I guess html 7 would be out ^^. And here... in a country where majority of office workers with win XP still use IE6 >.<
I can't afford using any of it. That's why I didn't learn many 'new tricks and ticks' yet. What's the point in knowing how you COULD do it when you know you WON'T?
Though I patiently wait for IE6 to vanish. Slowly learning new things...

----
I just checked. Statistically (my sites only though) 50% of users who browse the net using IE use IE6.
Strangely enough since the last time I checked (about 3 months ago) Opera is now the most common browser (though it beats firefox by 2-3%, which is nothing really). Next is Firefox. Then IE.

Now the chart looks like this:
Opera 30(-33)%
11+ 85%
10.? 15%
Firefox 30%
5.0 35%
4.? 20%
3.? 45%
IE 20%
6.0 50%
8.0 35%
7.0 10%
9.0 5%
Chrome 15%
Others  

Meaning at least 10% of our auditory uses IE6. Some would say 'it's not much'.  
Tough it depends. Ask anyone - having extra 10% visitors and potential buyers is better than having 0% extra visitors and potential buyers.

Usual scenario: your contractor himself uses brand new or almost brand new notebook, while his workers use XP and IE6 to work. And since they will have to work with site and know nothing new, want nothing new, etc. you should optimize for IE6. And they heard it all can work in IE 6 as well. You just have to work on it, but that is what you are here to do, right? To work?
Each time it happens I struggle not to send them to hell. But hey - I'm still not in the position to choose too much. At least not for reasons like this...

Ok, that was spin-off. I admit it. But this time I'd be building a site that works in IE 7 or even 8 and Firefox 3.5+ which is a change. Time to be glad? Though I'm not... not too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment