Pages

Wednesday, November 19

about physicians (MD)

Is it just me and my luck, or most physicians are extremely touchy and don't tolerate any doubt in their 'diagnosis'?

I always thought that it's the most obvious thing to ask questions 'why' a physician came to a conclusion you have to undergo a certain procedure and 'what negative after-effects' are possible. 

Yet, most physicians I've met in recent years become offended when you hint you have doubts in the diagnosis and would like an in-depths examination, OR ask to explain the prescription. 

Yesterday I had a discussion with one medical worker about it (the discussion was quite accidental in nature), and after a long conversation she asked: 'why do you mistrust physicians?'

I gave her the easiest explanation and the first example that popped into my mind, how when I was a pre-teen a certain physician misdiagnosed my issue completely, gave me treatment opposite to what was really required and by doing this aggravated the issue.

She (that medical worker from above) replied:
'Oh well, why do you take it so badly? Most children of that age have the opposite issue and require the opposite treatment, so it's no wonder your physician thought you needed it too. Your case was an exception'

Sweet, isn't it?
A physician who goes by numbers and doesn't even consider a possibility of 'exceptions' is no big deal?
A medical worker, a physician-in-the-making, thinks that people should take such physicians and their failures 'easy'. It's no big deal. But you should trust your physician, yes, you should. He knows best.

I'm afraid it's medical culture in general that produces such attitudes and results.



1 comment:

  1. I don't see the problem in asking 'why', in most other professions even the most basic explanation is offered when asked.

    ReplyDelete