Pages

Monday, December 2

on happenings in Ukraine (1)

If you followed news, you might have heard about "riots" in Ukraine - actually protests taking place right now.  They're the most massive gatherings of people since 2004 and so-called "Orange revolution".

Don't know what you remember about "Orange revolution", but back then I was in the streets with protesters. A student of the university then. Majority of my uni mates attended demonstrations in 2004 and so did I.

This time I didn't go. If you asked me why I didn't, I'd have no ready answer for you. A friend invited my to join and spent at least 6 hours there today.
Of course, I had a visit to relatives scheduled a week ago. Of course, I have enormous amount of work. And then, of course, I look to my left and understand that no one would *allow* me to go... not alone, only with my friend. A part of me, probably, wanted to go because I did have a walk in the city in the evening, around 5pm when atrocities near Bankova started. I witnessed packs of young men in sportswear gather and head down to the very heart of uprising - Independence Square. I saw young policemen drink coffee quite peacefully (in large groups though) and ignore above-mentioned packs of young men in sportswear. But I didn't go nearer than 3km (checked the map for exact number).

If anything, I'm tired.

Maybe - just maybe - if events continue to evolve - even I'd be moved to do something about it. As for now we just have to wait. 



No comments:

Post a Comment